He will not crush the weakest reed
or put out a flickering candle.
-Isaiah

Monday, September 29, 2008

Rain

'By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong."
Joni Mitchell
 

When I got back to the states, my little posse were sending their apps off to colleges and planning their entry into the real life.
We hear rumblins’ about a little concert goin’ on in upstate New York. My man Bobby Dylan’s gonna do the gig so I scratch up enough to buy a ticket. I hook up with Artistgirl and we hitch a ride. The New York state freeway is stopped for miles. Whoa!. We walk the rest of the way. They don’t even take our tickets cuz the gates are flooded. We walk around with shit eatin’ grins.
Artistgirl meets a boy she wants and I say I’ll be cool. The sky pours down like Noah’s flood. I huddle under a band stage to stay warm. I visit tents for a free high. I’m covered with mud head to toe. I dance in the field to bad music. I eat one cold can of soup the whole 4 days. I never knew I could feel so lonely among 400 thousand people.
Bobby didn't come.
But I was there.

No comments: