He will not crush the weakest reed
or put out a flickering candle.
-Isaiah

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Invisible Dagger

His abuse was an invisible dagger. No one can see the crime.
No one to validate the cruelty. No one to detect the weapon.
My growing awareness gave faith to my feelings.
The push, the brush of anger, the cutting remark, the
psychological violence that killed my spirit. My only escape
was to turn the hate on me.
I was trapped by despair, with no way out but death.

“You were once wild here. Don’t let them tame you.”
Isadora Duncan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,

I begin my first lead role in leading a domestic violence support group tonight. I have chosen your "Invisible Dagger" poem to present to the group for discussion. It is this evening from 7 - 8:30. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for your honesty and wisdom.

Carla