He will not crush the weakest reed
or put out a flickering candle.
-Isaiah

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Third Rail

I spent 8 days in Michigan.
I sat next to a physical therapist on the 2 day train ride.
After a night of fetal sleep, I was tempted to employ her services. After all, I’m supposed to be an old broad, right?

I wake up to Blade Runner City, my nose pressed to the window, takin’ in the foggy wasteland of Detroit.
Car graveyards, broken glass and tented gutter.
Major heart speed bump.
What are these people thinking?
It’s a two mile walk out of the ghetto!
Otis can show you the Way!
Find your destiny!

Eight days is some kinda Biblical number, sounds like.
Saw friends from ten years ago.
From before I caved.
We cut our teeth on having babies together, some too many, some prayed for, some adopted.
A first time mother alliance that never goes away.

When it was time to leave, James drove me to the station in Ann Arbor.
He’s hovering around like a big brother whose 15 years younger than I am.
Checked the bags.
We do goodbye.
I waited and watched him leave like a hired gun.
Then I power walk 2 blocks to the neon signed liquor store that I noticed when we took the right.
Fifteen minutes to train time.
They have what I want behind the counter.
I’m next in line.
I notice a vibe behind me.
James put his arm around me and we walk out.
I was just gonna buy a pack of butts! I said.

No comments: